This is completely wrong! "word_7Fxxxx" should be "word_00xxxx" (or "word_7Exxxx", since memory is mirrored there for the first 0x8000 bytes).
I don't look forward to fixing all these auto-generated references...
I gave up and split the auto-generated WRAM segment from $7E0000-$7FFFFF into two segments from $7E0000-$7EFFFF and $7F0000-$7FFFFF. This way I can automatically fix references into the second bank instead of rewriting them all manually, and IDA will even keep track of the RAM address's name if/when I name them.
aaaaa IDA doesn't support Unicode comments ;~; I can't just type out the Japanese text into my database as comments...
I also threw together a small tool for testing how dialogue will look before inserting it in-game!
You can play around with it here, if you'd like:
Well, I found which memory address is used for indexing which dialogue line is spoken by AI players.
Unfortunately, because I didn't finish tagging things in my disassembly, I can't cross-reference where the breakpoint I set fired with it, because that section of code is untagged...
I guess I know what I'll be doing today.
Oh wow, this is neat.
So, when choosing AI characters you can play against, there are actually two different lines that can appear! I didn't notice that there were multiple lines until I was reading through what @WTCGames@twitter.com had translated so far.
If you choose most characters, you get the first line ("Player # will be ____, right?")... but if you choose Konomi, you get the second ("I'll join as player #, alright?")
I guess Konomi really does host the whole game!
When IS2 draws a dialogue box on screen, it uses a particular 3-byte memory address for loading the window parameters from; and since all window parameters are in the same bank, it never updates the bank byte in that address.
I've moved all my custom code out into a new bank, though, including window parameters, so I have a hack in place that saves, replaces, and restores that bank byte when it loads custom text...
Except... the continue arrow also references those parameters, but the bank has already been restored when it tries drawing it, so it's using incorrect/invalid data when determining where it should draw that arrow.
I'll probably just have to find the continue arrow code and hook it somehow, just like my custom text code...
Awoo.space is a Mastodon instance where members can rely on a team of moderators to help resolve conflict, and limits federation with other instances using a specific access list to minimize abuse.
While mature content is allowed here, we strongly believe in being able to choose to engage with content on your own terms, so please make sure to put mature and potentially sensitive content behind the CW feature with enough description that people know what it's about.
Before signing up, please read our community guidelines. While it's a very broad swath of topics it covers, please do your best! We believe that as long as you're putting forth genuine effort to limit harm you might cause – even if you haven't read the document – you'll be okay!